Monday 18 June 2012

Lost Again!!

Today I was pumped, ready to face a new work day and excited by the prospect of taking the Metro train solo to work, but little did I know I would get lost, again!! My uncanny sense of direction is renown with my GSK work mates, I get lost headed to the supermarket and back. So after one hour of wandering aimlessly looking for the Hospices, I jumped in a cab to work, only to find that the cab driver was lost also!! He dropped me off in a leafy suburb that was nowhere close to work, luckily Patricia from the Hospices saved the day and came and collected me. I think that it was fate, as two Japanese tourists were in the same predicament and were so grateful that Patricia offered to take them to the station before we headed back to work.

This is usual practice. People here are kind. Generous. The doorman to my building speaks only Romanian, and I, only English, but we have been talking, trying to bridge the gap. He greeted me this evening with "Hello ma'am" and I greeted him with "Ce mai faci?", this was the end of our conversation before we launched into our seperate languages, but it is definitely a start! :) I also learnt how to say "Bon Appetit" in Romanian, "poftă bună", I am sure that I will be fluent in no time, well maybe I will be able to confidently speak a few phrases.

I had my first one on one discussion with my manager today, Cristiana. I am overwhelmed and humbled by the opportunities I am exposed to and the intelligent people that surround me. I have been incredibly lucky with my managers/mentors, and I know that working with Cristiana will be no different. She is an inspiration. She takes her role very seriously and surrounds herself with like-minded people to ensure success of the NGO she works for. I only hope that I can offer the same level of support and contribute to the success of the Hospices in the short time that I am here.

And the food! Oh my goodness, delicious! I am sure to gain kilos while I am here. I had a caramel, chocolate ice-cream dessert today. Chocolate here is much more bitter than I am used to, Australian chocolate is so sweet. I am getting used to the flavour though and I know I will miss it on my return. I may have to turn to dark chocolate that is similar in taste.

I must sign off here, too much rich food and the heat has made me sleepy.

Bună seara

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment