Thursday 14 June 2012

I have arrived

After four days in London, which I love love loved, I have arrived in Bucharest, Romania. The differences are obvious and shocking. I will try to explain what I mean, and beg your understanding as I am tired but want to fully capture the experience.

London is a place of wealth and abundance which you could quickly take for granted.

During my stay in London, I was fortunate enough to meet with my PULSE supervisor and my senior mentor and also met with the UK arm of the hospices of hope. It was a whirlwind of meetings but I hope that everyone got as much out of the experience as I did. I also managed to do the typical touristy things- tower of London, camden markets, paddington station, a ghost tour. I felt safe and quickly understood the public transport system and was confident on going places on my own.

And to beautiful Romania. When I landed, I was fortunate enough to get through customs and collect my things very quickly. I was quickly accosted by someone offering a taxi service within the airport but had thankfully been warned of this practice. Individuals posing as taxi drivers will sometimes take the fares of legitimate taxi drivers extorting a much higher price in the process from the unsuspecting traveler. It was very easy to tell the difference, as with most countries, there is a taxi rank found outside the airport with each taxi listing their credentials and how much to expect to pay per km written in the window of the vehicle. My taxi driver was talkative, could speak English, and very proud of his country and heritage. He discussed the issues faced by Romania post-communism and the challenges that people are still overcoming today. He pointed out sites to me on the way to my apartment, and had helpful suggestions in terms of personal safety whilst staying here.

I was amazed by the sheer beauty of the architecture in Bucharest but clearly rundown and in need of attention to restore it to its former glory. There is graffiti everywhere and you can see the severe state of disrepair in the buildings.

I am ashamed to say that when I originally was dropped to my apartment, I was scared and worried. It was down a side street and looked very shabby. I asked the driver if the area was safe, with which he laughed and said definitely. I could see the humor after I was checked in. There was a person on the door-(security and assistance) and although the lodgings are old, they are clean and very serviceable.

I went for a walk and managed to find a pharmacy, mobile phone retailer, supermarket very easily. Although English is definitely not a first language and people speak it haltingly- they are understanding and more than willing to help.

Drivers are crazy. People park where they want. People seem happy enough to leave their empty cars in the middle of side streets. There is so much traffic and an impatience to get to where they need to go. Again though, it was lovely to walk, to take in the ambience and atmosphere of Bucharest.

First day tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Will update soon.

Dani

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you arrived safely. I hope you got the cabbies phone number for future trips :)
    Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures over the coming weeks/months.
    Take care and Enjoy.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carly, I didnt actually grab his name, and then had an interesting time this morning, when I took a cab with someone who spoke no English. As Iris said, I will become very fluent in charades. All good though. Not long till you are over here also (well in Europe anyway!!) Speak soon.

    ReplyDelete