Saturday 16 June 2012

Day of rest

This post will probably be quite boring, as I spent the day in quiet reflection. This morning I got yet another SIM card for my phone, no telecommunications provider has a good plan for communicating with Australia (not that I have found yet anyway!). I have been lucky enough to have most of my family on Skype (add me if you like, Danielle.J.Nicholls - always up for a chat :) ) but today I really wanted to speak to my kids, second week without them and I am feeling the emptiness of not having them with me. So after two hours - success!! A wonderful ten minute conversation which lifted my spirits enormously.

There is a tourist bus stop close to me, and I did contemplate going on it today, but instead I did boring everyday things, grocery shopped (food is extremely cheap and of a high quality), I struggle with the packaged items as nothing is translated in English but I work with the pictures and clear packaging to get what I need. I think I got a pack of hamster-flavoured cheetos, I'll let you know how they taste. I made a delicious bolognaise sauce with local bacon, vegetables and tomato paste, I forgot to buy spices, but just with the basic items, the meal was a complete success!! I cleaned up and fussed around the apartment, making it more like my home (as it will be for the next six months!). I listened to music, craving fluent English as many of the shop keepers struggle with me and the language barrier. I watched Australian television, musing over the Romanian translation. It was nice to hear the Aussie twang. I looked to metro train maps and I think I have found a clear way to the office. I will give it a trial run tomorrow so I don't get too lost on Monday.

I intend to take photos, however I have been warned about local police and possible corruption targeted towards tourists. I am located in the middle of the city and I don't want to oust myself too much by gawking and taking many pics. I might be braver tomorrow!

la revedere până mâine

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment