Monday 16 July 2012

Crosul hospice incurajeaza alergatorii amatori sau incepatori si este dedicat bolnavilor incurabili pacienti Hospice Casa Sperantei

You are probably wondering what on Earth the title of my post is referring to. This was the blurb for Hospice Casa Sperantei's Fun Run/Marathon that took place last weekend it loosely means - Hospice of Hope amateur runners supporting terminally ill patients.

Last week I had the privilege of working at the Hospice in Brasov. Even though all the patients are suffering from terminal or life-limiting illness, the staff fill their hearts with such joy. I was amused to watch three wheel chair bound children playing a game of chasey around the garden. It took me a while to notice the wasted body, legs and feet of one child, I was so focused on the pure happiness that filled his face.

With that image in mind, I took on the four km fun run on the weekend. I am by no means a runner, so this was a huge challenge, but with such a fantastic cause how could I refuse? I am sore today, but so happy with the achievement.


Me with a REAL runner, Marius Istrate from GSK (printed with permission)

I am now working towards a ten kilometre run in August/September and aiming for sponsorship of around AUD$1,000 which would cover a nurse's salary for one month AND allow the care teams to make five personal visits to patients in their home during a month.

I will keep you updated on the details.

la revedere

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment