Wednesday 11 July 2012

Canicula - or HEAT WAVE

Phew - it is soooo hot! Like crazy hot. The temperature conditions are very similar to Melbourne, very hot summers and very cold winters. I have to say, because of this, I have been very remiss in blogging or doing very much at all. I live on iced tea (yum) and homemade Limonada (Lemonade made with fresh lemons and honey) which most cafes and restaurants have.

It is funny as we don't complain about the heat much at home (well not as much as I am now) - we are in temperature controlled offices which rarely move the thermometer needle past 25 degrees, in any season. Here, working  for an NGO, comfort of staff is the last priority, for obvious reasons. The patient must always come first. The Hospice relies heavily on donations of furniture, computer equipment, mobile phones etc to keep operations running (Even things you don't think of like water and toilet paper!). We have two very small air conditioners which makes working conditions manageable, but nothing like home. How lucky we are!

I look forward to working with Richard, last years PULSE volunteer in Ethiopia as we seem to have a similar way of thinking - what can we do post-assignment to continue making a sustainable difference? Although Romania is beautiful, they still need support in terms of health care. Having experienced a minor illness while I was here, I was so grateful to have contacts at the Hospice in terms of assistance, (A huge shout out and thank you to Ruxandra Ciocarlan, one of the doctors, who came to see me and make sure I was OK during her personal time - it was very much appreciated) but not everyone here is so lucky. There is such limited resources and medication for those who are seriously ill. I am thankful to be a part of a supportive company that is helping the situation, but I know that more needs to be done.

I can't believe I have already been here a month,  have to say, I see the end looming and it is coming far too quickly for my liking! There is so much I want to do and help with, I only hope that I have time to do it all.

I also want to travel - everywhere is so close in Europe and reasonably cheap to fly to for a weekend getaway. If you have any tips on what I just can't miss while I am here, let me know!

Oh - just a quick update on my adventures of last weekend - Friday night - attended an American Embassy BBQ for the 4th July celebrations, Saturday was a walk around Herastrau Park and a trip to the mall where I watched Albă ca Zăpada şi omul vânătoare (no hints to what it was!) and then Sunday, a walk to the Peasants Museum. Did you know that peasants refers to villagers here? Not people who are necessarily poor, just people who live simply, not like the city dwellers. I loved the museum, it was so quaint! I actually imagined I was one of the Grimm Brothers strolling around the village. The reason? You could see where the stories came from - there are buildings made of straw, of sticks, of brick (you can see where this is going, right?) There are towering churches with high steeples - the artwork inside, intricate and disturbing. There was one mural of heaven and hell - heaven depicted as angels and light and hell depicted and a ravenous beast eating the entangled poor souls who dwell there. No wonder people embrace religion if this is their fear!










Any way I must sign off for now, I am sure that this blog is more garbled and incoherent than ones past - (send some coolness, Melbourne!)

Ciao!

Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment