Wednesday 24 October 2012

Four Months Down... Eight Weeks To Go



At the four month mark now. I have had significant hold-ups with my Visa which has caused some issue with returning to my assignment in Romania. Luckily the Hospices' head office is in Otford, UK, so I have spent the last three weeks working from here. A big issue that I have experienced is a disconnect from my project in Romania. I feel like I am still achieving my objectives and ensuring that I am keeping to the project however I find it increasingly difficult to be away from my team. A key learning for me with the PULSE project is to ensure that you delay or try and arrange your Visa needs prior to assignment, even if it means that you may start later than anticipated.

What have I achieved in the last three weeks?
  • Working with the team in the UK we have managed to refine some of the database processes which is great for the team when I return home. Continued working on the process document to simplify the content.
  • We have a date set for Orange Day 2012 with the Brasov team to assist with the implementation of the SharePoint based intranet for the Hospice.
  • I have met with future potential donors, discussed what I do, how GSK support NGO's and most importantly my work with the Hospice and their patients.
  • Attended the PULSE Awareness Week, met with my co-ordinator and other members of the PULSE team and future volunteers.
  • I have volunteered at a fundraising event here, to gauge the differences between Romania and UK events.
  • Worked with one of our Romanian Corporate Partners on putting together a web based template to generate sales for patients wanting to sell art work to help them become self-sustaining, financially, even if they are bedridden or house-bound.

In between all these activities I have also managed to make it out of the UK visiting rural France and Belgium. Wow. What an experience! I saw opulence and wealth of these areas, but Carole also introduced me to the poverty of some of the lesser known regions. She explained to me that Europe are still evolving which can be financially crippling to some of the communities as they struggle to maintain their culture, their heritage and history while the world grows and advances around them. Who is right? How can balance be maintained? Is tourism one of the solutions? I have to say that I am full of questions about what can be done to make lives better, easier. I know this is not my assignment but I can't help but wonder what more individuals can do.

The good news is - my visa has been approved so I am now waiting on the documentation so I can head back. Looking forward to being back in Romania even though I will miss the UK. Also looking forward to Christmas and being back with my children. How I miss their hugs!

Love lots

Dani xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment