Monday 20 August 2012

When in ROME....

I never ever EVER thought I would be able to say that, literally. That is a huge thing for my bucket list, and one I am still wondering whether I was dreaming to have had the fortune to be there.

So as with everything, I am trying to do everything as cheaply as I can - so this is cheap flights, accommodation and I have been giving backpacking a go - living out of one small backpack when I travel with tips I picked up from a Brit I met on a train trip through Brasov.

The adventure starts: I arrived at the airport with so many Romanians also looking forward to a weekend getaway. I flew BlueAir, a low cost European airline, first time for everything and till now I had flown with their direct competitor WizzAir but had been warned that Blue were far worse in terms of strict luggage allowance, cleanliness on the flight, food etc, so this was going to be interesting! I am sorry to say that I got much amusement from the passengers having to disassemble and smash their suitcases to get them to fit into the unrealistic luggage frame they had stationed at the boarding gate. There was many a heated argument and security was called. (first time on the trip that I was thankful for my backpack). If you have ever watched "Come Fly with Me" by the clever duo from Little Britain it was EXACTLY the same as when Melody made a traveller empty her suitcase completely before letting  her check her luggage. Well maybe they were allowed one or two items in this instance.

The flight was pretty uneventful apart from everyone in serious prayer before we took off, I figured I was in a Venn diagram at this point and so much prayer in my direct vicinity should cover me to a degree. Applause on landing still amuses me, although I am grateful when I arrive safely.

Took heaps of pictures during the bus transfer from the airport to Rome - typical tourist, mouth open, gobsmacked at the sights around me. I mean wow.

Dumped unceremoniously at the train station, I would be lying if I said I didn't have my heart in my mouth briefly as I tried to work out what to do and where to go next. I have to say the Termini is the best I have been to anywhere - two levels of shopping and so much food. I think if I was lost there for a couple of days I wouldn't have been so worried. My hotel room ended up being two blocks from the station (sweet!) and it was fantastic. It was cheap for the location (the cheapest price I could find on Wotif.com), wi-fi, restaurant and lovely helpful staff - if you ever want somewhere to stay in Rome, I would definitely recommend Hotel Europa.

So I started by jumping on my pre-paid open bus tour and headed straight to the Vatican. I had three days, I was making the most of my time. I went straight to the Sistine Chapel and oh my god, what a place, the art, the history, wow, wow, wow!!!



I then headed back to the hotel to have a dinner of traditional spaghetti bolognaise. Yum!! It was soooo good!

Day Two: I was really keen to go to Il Convento dei Cappuccini but no one I asked knew exactly where it was, my hotel concierge circled the general location on a map and I was off for my walking adventure. I managed to find the street but had to back track several times before realising it was down a street that was a continuation of the one I had been following, (it wasn't that clear in my defence). I learnt about the Capuchin Monks (interesting history) and viewed the crypt made up of over 4000 bodies! No photos allowed - but you can check this wiki link if you want to learn more.


A quick tip - in case, like me, you didn't know that you can't expose knees and shoulders in religious places in Rome, bring a scarf, or you can purchase relatively cheaply (around 2 Euro) in the city.

Following a second breakfast (I couldn't help myself, OK?) I found my way back to the Termini and back on board my bus for The Colosseum and Palatine Hill. The Colosseum was good, the ancient ruins of Palatine Hill, better, in my opinion. The place is HUGE, and there is very little that a visitor is not allowed to see. A pleasant change from being closed out of so much in other places.





Sore, sore feet after so much walking. Pack of band-aids later and I am ready for more, so I hit the shops for a few small gifts to fit in my backpack of course. ;)

Day Three: I can't believe I am leaving today, I so want to stay. The people are beautiful, the food is delicious, real cappuccinos, the city, sigh, I love it here. So a few brief stops before I head to the airport. Pantheon, Castel Sant'Angelo and a few small churches. Bought a beautiful hand painted frieze from a street painter. This place is awesome. My camera ran out of battery - NoooooooooOOOOooo. Anyone following me on Facebook is probably eternally grateful. hehe.





And so ended my journey. Farewell to the glorious food, the magnificent coffees and just the overall delight of Rome.

And I have to finish by saying that BlueAir was worse on the way home, broken seating, even grottier (I didn't believe possible) but if you liken it to a bus, not too bad overall.

Taxi drivers still hassled me at the airport when I got home, I must have a big "Tourist - take advantage" sign above my head - but I ignored them, took the late bus and was home just after midnight, now back to work and back to reality.

Dani xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment