Thursday 30 August 2012

Dani's Guide for Traveling (Light and Solo!)

I thought I would briefly share some of my travel tips since I am doing things considerably cheaply, comfortably and learning A LOT along the way.

- Get yourself a decent backpack, make sure it is sturdy but light. Some European budget airlines will not let you take on more than 7 kg in your hand luggage (and this is how I am travelling - hand luggage only). Some countries are quite flexible and lenient with this rule, however others are the complete opposite and are extremely strict (UK and Romania being apart of the stricter rules). Hand luggage is ONE bag, including your handbag which restricts things a little more. My backpack was gratefully nabbed from my parents place before I left. It was originally a laptop bag but it is so strong, the integrity of the bag and the size makes it perfect. It has heaps of secure pockets for passport etc.

 
- Book at least your flights and accommodation in advance, this is just my preference. I don't mind planning my trip - tours, museums, walks etc, when I land, but it is comforting to know I have somewhere safe to go home to in the evening. I use Kayak.com for cheap flights and Wotif.com for last minute cheap deals. I usually double check on TripAdvisor to see what others have said about the hotels. This is not a preference for everyone, but safety is still a huge priority for me while travelling solo.

- Do get to know the local public transport system. I have gone from "the Forrest Gump of Public Transport" as dubbed by my team in Australia, to be quite able to travel from A to B or even A to M and return. Public transport is cheaper than tours, most guide books tell you exactly what lines to rely on to get to where you want to go, and strangers can be quite helpful if you do get lost.

- Do decide on your must do activities and plan accordingly. I tend to do those activities first and then I do my getting lost activities in the afternoon. I don't think I have missed anything that I was really keen on seeing - yet! Orientate yourself with a map. I am not a great map-reader but am getting used to it! I actually helped a fellow ex-pat find his way to a rather obscurely hidden museum while in Vienna and pointed the way to the main attractions to an Austrian that didn't speak English but told me in one word where they wanted to go. If you do happen to get lost, cafes and restaurants are a great place to stop, have a drink, re-orientate yourself, ask questions, and head on.

- Book your tickets in advance for those popular must see attractions. Places like the coliseum have HUGE line-ups, you could wait literally hours. If you book on line or at the local tourism office you can save money on your tickets and jump the queue.

- Do be confident while travelling. Don't be a target for muggers or pick pockets. I don't know any great tips for avoiding this happening except for watching your things, Taking long purposeful strides when going places. Trying not to be the tourist with map and camera pointing at attractions (although this is me some of the time). Stand with your back to the wall in train carriages, Use both straps on your backpack or hold the one strap that is over your shoulder.

- It can be disconcerting not to know the local language. Either make the effort to know a few brief phrases or be clear and concise with what you need. I am terrible, absolutely awful linguistically but am becoming brilliant at charades.

- Want to learn a few things for free? A guide gave me this tip - you can tag along on the end of tour groups, hear some facts about the attraction, city you are visiting without being a part of the official group. You can see these tour groups everywhere. Usually groups of 20 or so, with rods with handkerchiefs tied to the end. I must say, I haven't done this yet, but may in the future.

- Get lost!! My favourite way of exploring. The places I have found just by chucking in the iPod and walking! The people and the places, incredible. You need to be, again, quite confident in order to do this. It can be stressful if you like to always know where you are.

- Get to know your fellow travelers. It has been amazing meeting so many weird and wonderful people. You may only get to know them on the trip, but knowing them briefly is better than not at all.

- I stay a minimum of two days in any one place but bring one change of clothes. A great tip I was given on a train (when still lugging around a suitcase) was to do this, then wash the first change of clothes in soap or shampoo, rinse well, wring out as much water as you can, pull out the creases and hang dry. Works fantastically as every hotel has a towel rail and usually a hairdryer if you want to fasten the process.

- Limit your purchases. Get small, easy to carry, non-fragile gifts (learnt this the hard way - a piece of Italian Murano glass smashed and now sitting in a bin somewhere)

- Drink water - and lots of it. I take at least a one litre bottle with me, and aim for 2 ltr per day, especially when flying, you have to hydrate yourself.

- Get over that fear of public toilets, wrap the seat in toilet paper if you have to, but get used to the fact that they are not like home.

Things I cannot travel without:

  • Wet-ones (antibacterial) for after toilet stops (see above note) and to freshen up)
  • Stick deodorant - you can't take sprays on board flights
  • iPhone - Internet wi-fi can be found almost everywhere. You can update facebook, email and use as a backup camera - which I have had to do several times
  • Camera and back up battery - I think you all know how much I love my pics now.
  • Sturdy, comfortable footwear - don't kill your feet before the adventure starts
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste
  • Plastic bag for the washing you want to take home
  • small first aid kit - pain killers, anti-diarrhoea tablets (just in case)
Have fun! The world is an amazing place as are the people in it. Enjoy them.

Dani xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment