Wednesday 29 August 2012

Oh Vienna, my heart belongs to you.

My Vienna trip started right from the get-go. Good timing for the flights (no red-eye flights, thank goodness!) and Austrian Air are divine to travel with - you walk on board and classical music is piping through the speakers. A French-accented pilot welcomes you on board and have a pleasant flight (my heart melts at the sheer sound) and you are fed without having to paying a million Euros for the privilege! No applause needed on landing as there was no expectation of an unscheduled crash landing. Brilliant.

Flying over Austria is a great introduction to the country. The country-side looks like one of the many fashion designers that line the streets of Vienna has come and taken hand dyed and painted silks and created a patchwork of colour. Deep sea green, emerald, chartreuse, beige, creams, tans and rich earthy browns dotted with wind farms and broken up by lakes and rivers of azure. Beautiful.

Now the weather wasn't fantastic this weekend. The heat wave broke and we had clouds and rain. Sometimes this puts a dampener on experience, but Vienna - I could imagine you could love it in any weather.

I took the double decker train from the airport to the city central - 18 mins, non stop. Quick and quiet, dropping straight to the centre of the city. I wanted to get to know the surroundings of my hotel so took two further trains to Praterstern, home of an old carnival complete with artwork (and freaky clown images. Ugh!). I took a trip on the giant ferris wheel to get a better look at my surroundings.


the stuff of my nightmares, think IT by Stephen King
 
OK, so next stop was something tacky - I went to Madame Tussaud's, and I am sorry but I loved it! How clever are the wax artists (or whatever they like to be called) to create the images they do!
 
 




Next trip was to find my hotel and then head back into the city. I managed to find my way OK but when I returned to the station one of the major lines was down and a lot of us were  wandering aimlessly and scratching our heads. The only communication was in German which was disastrous for me as I know exactly zero . As luck would have it some Swiss firey's came to my rescue, they recognised me from the same hotel they are staying at and helped me into the city. Happy days. :)

Oh my word - getting out of the station and seeing Stephansplatz for the first time. Those who have been there will know exactly what I am talking about. Wow. What a city. The churches, the architecture, the shopping. Sigh. Love love love this place!

I won't bore you with all  320 photos on this one day, you can check out my album on facebook if you want to go through them all. I went to the Imperial Burial Vault, damn do they know how to bury their dead. Such intricate work on their caskets! It was as if the artists had bronzed skeletons and the mourners in these mountainous constructions. Amazing.



I hadn't made any further plans at this point so I continued to stroll through Stephansplatz, looking at the bright windows filled with such opulence and riches - Jewellery, clothing, handbags, shoes. Sigh, I could go back with an endless credit card, no problem.




Anyway, back to museums and culture - momentarily distracted there (even just by the pictures and memories. haha!!)

So continuing my walking, I went past grandiose fountains and buildings and found the museum district. I went to the Papyrus Museum which may sound dull but imagine, this is how written communication started! The pieces reserved in the museum were contractual, political, medical, religious and magical. It was incredible to see the hand writing of someone long dead, to know that to them, at the stage of writing, the parchment was their focus, the most important thing to them at that moment.



Next stop - the Ephesos, Collection of Arms and Armoury and Collection of Ancient Musical Instruments. (My camera died at this point which was horrific for me, meaning I had to rely on iPhone photos for the remainder of the trip. This has been rectified with the purchase of a new battery to come with me on my next journey). This museum was incredible. It had pieces of excavated artifacts from Turkey, cross bows, swords, pianos, violins from Vienna, all in the one building. Sounds bizarre but each exhibition complemented the next very well.










The next day was spent traipsing to the Danube Tower, which is nice, but really doesn't have a patch on the Melbourne Eureka Tower. It is in the United Nations area of Vienna which is quite sedate in comparison to the remainder of this beautiful city. The views were good, but I wouldn't say spectacular.



View from the elevator shaft - going up!!

Headed to the torture museum, which was a little tacky but went through the techniques used through inquisitions and questioning of suspected criminals. I have to say that the idea of torture makes my stomach churn, but I am still interested in learning more. The museum housed the traditional methods, the rack, iron lady, thumb screws, water torture, and more.

As I strolled through Vienna on my return, I found the Cafe Museum, so much sugar, so many cakes. I had a sugar headache after visiting!

Next stop - the zoo to see the pandas for my little sister who has a marvellous affinity with these cuddly-looking bears. I have to say, I did adore them, seeing them for the first time up close and personal. How cute are they! And clumsy! Falling over each other. Very very cute.




It was so wet on the second day so it ended early (around 4pm). I have to admit to napping that afternoon, recovery from the day before I think.

Day three was devoted to the Jewish quarters - The Jewish Museum and the Judenplatz Museum, learning about the holocaust and the history around it. In 1421, 200 Jews were taken to a pyre and burned alive. Prior to this many more were tortured and their children left to starve. I have to say that although not a practising Jew, this filled me with anxiety and anger in many respects. I fail to understand how we can be so cruel to fellow human beings regardless of the religious preferences. I also found time to visit the Sigmund Freud museum - his original medical practice until he fled Vienna due to religious persecution to the United Kingdom where he stayed until he died.






My last and final stop before the airport was to visit the great church in Stephansplatz. Very rich, illustrous and gothic.



I truly loved every moment in Vienna. It is the most beautiful city, and while I have heard extreme views on the city, you either truly love or hate it, I have to say that I am firmly in the team of the former. I hope I some day get the opportunity to come back.


Dani...

No comments:

Post a Comment