Sunday 9 December 2012

Just a few thoughts, Christmas and finishing off the assignment...

The last week in Romania. Wow. I am trying hard to contain my excitement with going home although there is equal measures of sadness as I will say goodbye to my new friends and extended families. I have loved every moment of this experience.

Was in Brasov this week and experienced snow!! Real snow! It is soft and fluffy, not hard like hail we get (and I thought it would be). I did end up falling on my butt, runners are not adequate snow wear. I saw fireworks and the Brasov Town Christmas tree lit up, it was the most beautiful sight. Apart from the travel to and from Brasov- (constantly delayed trains), I am really, really going to miss that place. So beautiful and such kind, wonderful friends.


I went to the Bucharest Christmas Market last night and saw the lights and colours of the city. Wow, so incredible! I haven't bought anything to take home yet (I have severely depleted my room in my case) but hopefully I can find some small items for my friends and family before I return.



On the work front, managed to get a lot of work done on the intranet which I am grateful for. The database is working well for those using it, and I am completing my last pieces of paperwork before I leave Friday.

For possibly the first time, I am too overwhelmed to write. Everything I have experienced, shared, has ultimately changed me. I hope for the better. I have experienced such highs and lows, tears and sadness, laughter and happiness.

What have I learnt?

- I swear. A lot. Luckily my team see this as humorous and not offensive (thank goodness!)
- I am quite depreciating. Feedback I have received from my work here has been so warm, so kind and complementary, which I also get at home, but I never really appreciated.
- I need to devote more time to my family and friends. Life can be so fleeting, can be removed in a moment. We need to remember the blessing of every moment we have.
- That you can achieve a lot with very little.

What have I taught?

- Aussies don't sound like Steve Irwin. Sorry mates, but he was in a league of his own.
- That small businesses, companies, organisations need to utilise more computer based tools. If you want to successfully stride into this new era, you must move with the times. I believe that the team are not quite ready, but I am hopeful for their future.
- How to have open and clear dialogue, and how important this is. I think it is so important for people to know where they stand, are they on the right track? What needs to be changed to improve performance?

What would I have changed?

- I believed that I went in with few assumptions. I know now that I was wrong with this. My home team are open to improvements and suggestions for best practise. This can sometimes be misinterpreted as, 'I know better, therefore you should do things my way.' This is not the case nor my intention.
- Language barriers can be difficult with a project. Training a group with varying ability in the English language and having little ability with the local dialect can be a huge barrier. I would like to say that I picked up Romanian quickly and easily but that would be untrue. I would like to think that I would spend more time in prep before starting on learning more about the local language.
- Visa, I think the excessive delays with the processing of the visa was definitely detrimental to my time spent here. I think this needs to be analysed well prior to the assignment and the assignment postponed until this paperwork is complete.

I really cannot believe how fortunate I am to been given this opportunity. I will forever be grateful to gsk and Hospice Casa Sperantei for this time and experience. I look forward to continuing my relationship with the Hospice as a volunteer, helping via skype or remote desktop connection where I can. I will always have the Hospice in my heart as well as inked to my skin.

Pretuim fiecare clipa de viata - Cherish every moment of life.

Dani xxx

2 comments:

  1. Great work Dani, have thoroughly enjoyed your Blog, very inspriational.
    Enjoy your last week in Romania and wishing you an awesome Christmas with your family.
    Looking forward to chatting in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly for all your support, definitely looking forward to catch up with you in 2013. Coffee and goss :)

      Delete