Sunday 25 November 2012

Twenty days to go...

Wow, I cannot believe I am reaching the completion of my assignment. I am genuinely saddened to think of leaving the Hospice Fundraising team whom I have grown to know and love. They are an extraordinary group of people with fiercely wicked senses of humour and an ability to pull of the most incredible events with literally no resources.

My reflections?

Although I found it easy to love Bucharest and found the assignment quite sociable from the start, I know that it was difficult for some people to warm to me. I have a strong personality, speak English quickly (with Aussie inflection and colloquialisms) and my assignment wasn't incredibly popular given that the software I was sent to assist with had been implemented years ago and hadn't worked efficiently throughout this time. My friends and family at home know that this would be a hurdle for me, but not insurmountable. Perhaps you are even nodding your heads now and thinking, "Poor bastards, they didn't know what they were in for when Dani came on board".

It has been a time of intense joy and sadness. I love the people, the social atmosphere, the unique location and places to visit and see. The only other country I know that offers mountain ranges, beaches and such varying weather is home. Romania adds to this though with its rich lustrous history. I even love the food now thanks to Mada in the office who makes such delicious Romanian cuisine without the risk of food poisoning.

I miss my children, I miss them more than anything, and have throughout. They have also had their ups and downs, Kaitie has been made School Captain for her year level, she also won Student of the Year at her new school. She has made such amazing friendships and has finally found her niche. It only happens to be two states away from where I work! Hannah on the other hand, has done very well at school given the social butterfly she naturally is and blitzes her assignments and exams with relative ease. She misses her friends in Victoria though and cannot wait to return. Torn.

I have had moments of sadness here, it is difficult to be in an environment where you don't know the primary language. Being ridiculous as I am, I thought that by six months, I would be fluent (embarrassing to admit). I do now pick up the general gist of a conversation, but cannot contribute or understand the little nuances. The team still try and teach me a word or two, but my memory doesn't seem to retain them.

Being an un-socialite has been exhausting too. I love being around people and activities but being naturally introverted means that I need my own space to digest and think things through. Sometimes this has been an impossibility given my commitments and the stress has shown. Last weekend at the Ball I had a small nervous breakdown given the exhaustion from the build up, the late nights and finally the event. I think it was good in a way though as the team saw that I am vulnerable, and cannot be happy or "on" all the time. (Thank you for your help Irina and Oana!) I remember my last manager explaining to me that she was very introverted, but watching her in a room, you would never guess. She explained that she puts that to the side, does what she needs to and regains her senses at a later time. I guess I take this message to heart and try and do this, most of the time!

On a good note, the team are starting to use the software, it has taken almost the full six months, but the database is now cleaned, it has been adapted to Romanian needs (to the extent of my ability as this goes unsupported by the software developers!). My team see the benefits of using a database for their events and how a co-ordinated PM tool will assist and not hinder their efforts. I need to thank Laura for encouraging the team also. I think it will assist as the group rapidly grow and become a more global than local effort.

Our intranet is now a pinch away from release. It is a little slower than anticipated given that the teams have been focused on their events at the most busy time of year and also given IT's location is two and a half hours away. A bit of a hike in terms of collaboration. Some things you just need to do in face to face meetings! Again, thanks goes to the Brasov website team, for their assistance and ongoing support with this initiative.

Twenty days and I will update you again. Thank you again, my Romanian friends (including ex-pats) and missing you my Aussie ones.

Dani xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment